Sunday, May 22, 2011

Roasted Accordion Potatoes





I'm always on the lookout for recipes good for entertaining. My general criteria for such recipes includes: moderately simple preparation, nice presentation and flavorful yet still on the healthy side of the cooking spectrum.

I recently found a new addition to my entertaining repertoire, courtesy of Smitten Kitchen – one of my favorite food blogs. Trying the recipe meant I would have to use a mandolin for the first time. From the many accounts of mandolin induced injuries I’ve heard, I was especially careful and methodical as I sliced my potatoes. I am happy to report that my mandolin use was injury-free – hopefully I didn’t just jinx myself for next time!

Other than creating my own recipe name, I mostly followed Smitten Kitchen’s recipe. I altered the recipe only slightly as I did not have any shallots on hand. Instead, I thinly sliced a yellow onion and layered within the potatoes slices. I also omitted the red pepper flakes and opted for freshly cracked pepper. Upon tasting, I was equally pleased with the presentation as I was with the taste.

Need a bigger helping?:
Smitten Kitchen
Related Posts with Thumbnails

10 comments:

  1. I haven't seen this presentation for roasted potatoes, but you are right - they are company impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! You will have to let me know if you try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought so too...thanks to smitten kitchen for sharing! I was happy to recreate it successfully. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is probably the most beautiful presentation for roasted potatoes ever. It looks so elgant and classy...i gotta try this next time i have people over! Thanks for sharing :)

    - abeer @ www.cakewhiz.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Abby. I am sure your dinner guests will enjoy them too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These Roasted Accordion Potatoes look so beautiful... What a great idea! Have to try this :) Thanks for sharing, Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look beautiful! I'm gpnna run to buy a mandolin to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kelly! Just wanted to let you know that I made these potatoes and sweet potatoes. I sliced them in the food processor. They were delicious! I posted it on my blog and linked back to yours :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. New follower. These potatoes look amazing. I love your photos. I need me a mandolin! Stat!

    ReplyDelete