Wednesday, July 25, 2012

A Hummus Duo


In need of more healthy snack options to take with me to work - I am after all, in a frequent snacking phase of my preggo life - I set out to make a batch of hummus. As I warmed up my food processor blending tahini hummus, inspiration struck. What about a couple of different flavored hummus options?

I usually turn to hummus for the snacking appeal, but it's also good for spreading on to sandwiches as a healthy alternative to mayo. These hummus flavors would give me great versatility.

The other hummus making motivation is the nature of an inexpensive eat - despite what the store bought varieties would have you believe. Really, after the purchase of tahini, the ingredients are inexpensive and usually on-hand in the pantry. The initial purchase of a jar of tahini runs the price of an organic peanut butter but can be used for several batches.

These reasons were more than I needed to fuel the hummus desire. I share with you my creations.



Sundried Tomato Hummus & Avocado Hummus
Hummus Base:
2 - 15 oz cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
juice from 2 lemons
1/2 c. sesame tahini
1 tbs. fresh parsley, chopped
1 tsp cumin
1 & 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 c. water

Sundried Tomato Hummus:
1/2 batch of hummus base (see above)
1/3 c. sundried tomatoes in oil, drained and rinsed
2 tbs. water
1 & 1/2 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp. smoked paprika

Avocado Hummus:
1/2 batch of hummus base (see above)
1 & 1/2 ripened avocado
1/4 tsp. salt

Directions:
1. Combine ingredients for hummus base and blend in food processor until smooth.
2. Transfer 1/2 hummus base to bowl. Set aside.
3. Add ingredients for sundried tomato flavor to hummus base. Blend in food processor until smooth.
4. Transfer sundried tomato hummus to serving bowl. Garnish with sundried tomato.
5. Rinse out food processor.
6. Return remainder of hummus base to food processor.
7. Add ingredients for avocado flavor. Blend until smooth.
8. Transfer avocado hummus to serving bowl. Garnish with avocado slice.
9. Serve with fresh vegetables and pita or toasted tortilla wedges.

Bonus: Believe it or not, the avocado hummus keeps a nice green hue for up to a week. No unappetizing avocado browning experienced!

Happy snacking!
Related Posts with Thumbnails

3 comments:

  1. I love hummus and both of these varieties sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great! Thank you for the inspiration! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jessica and Carly. I am especially excited about the avocado hummus since it surprised me by staying a nice pretty green. :)

    ReplyDelete