Friday, March 30, 2012

Popcorn Friday: Honey Mustard Popcorn


This week's popcorn is a shout out to all you honey mustard fans! I know you are out there and having lived with a honey mustard enthusiast in my early college years, I also know how fanatical you can be for this flavor.

I must share that this popcorn flavoring has proved the most difficult of the Friday Popcorns thus far. Now before you're scared away, let me reassure you that it won't be difficult for you to recreate.

In fact, it's actually quite easy. I strive to make my popcorn snacks quick and easy. I imagine you eat your popcorn as I do ... as a crunchy late night snack or for eats during a weekend movie night.

I played around with the recipe several times - first starting with all powered ingredients - including honey powder. While it tasted good in powder form, the cooked popcorn was too mild in flavor.

After maneuvering the ingredients, I finally got a good one. A really good one. Honey mustard in all its glory!

Honey Mustard Popcorn
Ingredients: *Serves 2
1 & 1/2 tbs. canola oil
1/3 c. white popcorn kernels
2 tbs. honey
1 tbs. yellow mustard
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. salt

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Heat oil in medium pot on medium heat to medium-high heat.
3. Add popcorn kernels and stir until covered with oil. Cover with lid and without removing from heat, shake pot occasionally. Pop corn until popping slows to near stop. Remove from heat.
4. In a small bowl, combine honey, mustard, onion powder and salt. Mix until blended and smooth in consistency.
5. Transfer half of popped corn to large bowl. Drizzle with mustard mixture and mix until evenly coated. Repeat with remainder of corn and mustard.
6. Transfer to jelly-roll pan and bake for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes. This step will crunch up the flavored popcorn. Serve and enjoy. (*Tip: If you wait to eat the popcorn for more than an hour, repeat step 6 for crunchy corn.)


Happy snacking!
Related Posts with Thumbnails

6 comments:

  1. That's a pretty cool combination! My niece is crazy about honey mustard...I'm going to pass this to her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg this looks delicious!! I love the flavors here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann, I knew there would be honey mustard lovers out there! I hope your niece enjoys it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. delicious! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why eat anything else but popcorn? (okay, Mexican food is good.). Coffee. Sourdough toast. etc etc

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds so good and can't wait to make it- I'll add your link to my post when I make it-

    Linda
    http://bestoflongislandandcentralflorida.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete