Monday, November 14, 2011

Prosciutto and Arugula Flatbread

Featured in this month's 5280 Magazine, this flatbread recipe comes from local chef, Elise Wiggins.

Despite my challenged relationship with pizza crusts, I decided to give Wiggins' flatbread a try. Flatbreads are, after all, rustic and artisan by nature. Translation: imperfect. Hence, just my style. Flatbreads are also very thin. Translation: light. Also, my style.


Much to the amusement of my chef mom, I rolled out the flatbreads with my own version of a rolling pin. A proper rolling pin has been added to my 'Kitchen Wants' list. That way, next time, I will be able to drink the wine whilst rolling dough.



From the recipe, I altered the directions only slightly ... I placed the prosciutto atop the arugula to protect it from wilting as I baked it in the oven for 1 minute.

In the end, we 3 - Dan, Mom and myself - fully enjoyed the crispiness of the flatbread. That combined with the subtle saltiness from the prosciutto, earthy flavor of the arugula and slight sweetness from the aged balsamic came together to create the perfect bite.


Need a bigger helping?:
Dough Recipe
Flatbread Recipe
Related Posts with Thumbnails

4 comments:

  1. This looks delicious with the prosciutto and arugula, great flavor combination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! That flatbread looks so super yummy! I wonder if it will work with arugula and beetroot or perhaps smoked tofu, for a veggie version

    ReplyDelete
  3. Irina, your veggie options sound good. You'll have to let me know if you try it. Especially the smoked tofu - I've had tofu many a time but haven't tried it smoked yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a great pizza dough recipe that tastes almost exactly like Domino's Pizza dough if you're interested! Super, duper easy, too. Let me know and I'll email it to you! ;)

    ReplyDelete