Friday, February 24, 2012

Roasted Rosemary Garlic

Entertaining this weekend? Roasted garlic is a sophisticated, yet simple, starter to an evening meal. The long cook time transforms the otherwise pungent raw garlic into a mild and buttery spread.

The fresh rosemary enhances the flavor even further. Crusty bread is the perfect carrier for enjoying this spreadable garlic.


A note about the pictured knife...the golfer spread knife. It was my Papa's. I gave it to him when I was a in high school. He was a golfer and a man who enjoyed entertaining guests either at his home or out to dinner. He was always a host.

When he died, my mom gave me the knives I gave to him years before. Originally it was a set of 4. I have 3 of them. The 4th golfer got lost in the shuffle somewhere.

Now, when I entertain, I use Papa's knives for spreads and cheeses. I cherish them. It makes me think of Papa and his love for entertaining, which was passed down from him to my mom and then to me.
Roasted Rosemary Garlic
Ingredients:
1 heads garlic
1 1/2 tbs. olive oil
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
kosher salt, to taste

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Turn garlic head on its side, cut top off, about 1/2 inch down.
2. Remove rosemary from sprig. Finely chop.
3. Place garlic heads on heavy duty aluminum foil. Pour oil on top of heads. Press rosemary into top and season with salt. Fold up sides of foil to cover garlic entirely.
4. Roast in oven for 60 minutes. Remove and let cool for 5 minutes. Extract clove from bulb with spread or butter knife. Serve with crusty bread.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

2 comments:

  1. Great photography, Kelly! Made me want to run and make my own baked garlic! Love the spreader too:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cynthia! I'm glad you like the pictures. You'll have to let me know if you make your own. :)

    ReplyDelete